The Battle's Not Yours: How to Overcome the Devil's Games (and Keep Your Blessings) August 03 2020
Satan and his demons are busy... But fortunately for God's people, God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost know all their tricks. Here are few of the top games the devil likes to play. Keep your guard up and follow Jesus's example so you can overcome the enemy because the battle is NOT ours. It's the Lord's!
Let's do this...
The Family Feud...The WWE Ain't Got Nothin' on a Fighting Family. Get Your Dukes Up, Folks. Dinner's On!
Keep your guard up at home. The devil may try to work through family members to attack you. He might try to catch you off-guard if you're tired, frustrated, hungry or have a 'lack' in a particular area (money, computer problem, car acting up). And, with the coronavirus, tensions can be especially high.
People have been in cramped quarters, there's more noise and fewer places to unwind. If your finances were affected and/or your job, this can make vulnerable to satan's attacks because he likes to wear people down. Why?
If you become offended and attack someone verbally through arguments - even if you're only defending yourself - then you're walking in the spirit of offense. And, if you're carrying the spirit of offense, guess what? God won't hear your prayers, Mark 11:25-26. And, satan is not subtle. He likes to keep picking at the same spot hoping you "go off". His goal: To get you to say or do things you don't mean because you're now in a bad mood and will offend other people. Strategic, right?
How to Win This Fight?
Here are a few points to help you win this battle:
- Remember, the devil is the accuser of the brethren. Be on guard as people might make false accusations against you, (accuse you of stealing or not doing something, saying you purposely hurt their feelings).
- Tune out the noise. We can ask Father God to help with noisome pestilences (Psalm 91:3). You can also purchase noise cancellation headphones or earplugs. Then, try to find quiet space from others (even if it's a closet, bathroom).
- Rebuke the personalities of people who lash out at you. Remember, it's not them but the devil working through them.
- Don't think about it. Focus on other things, really! Whatever you don't feed dies - so don't give it or them any of your energy or time.
- Get plenty of rest. Watch a movie, read a book and read your Bible. Do things that add value.
- Take caution with people being nice suddenly for no reason. They might have an ulterior motive. Or, it can be a love bomb from a narcissist.
- Watch out for people that attack your self-esteem. Focus only on what God thinks of you, not man. People that are extra nice or extra mean are trying to control your emotions. Take it to Father God in prayer first. Remember, walk away. Not by might, nor by strength, but God's spirit.
- Be extra patient and don't "fight to be right". Confrontational demons want to wear you out. And, they like to tag team (another narcissist trait). But, don't get into the ring with them. Instead, keep your distance and avoid petty arguments. If they THINK they're right, okay. So. Whatever.... Walk away as this is a huge trap and pitfall.
Bible verses to stand on:
"Whoso diggeth a pit shall fall therein: and he that rolleth a stone, it will return upon him," Proverbs 26:27.
Round 1 is over. But let's see what else the devil is up to with this next game. And, get ready 'cause the stakes are a lot higher with this opponent.
Workplace Conflicts: Oh, It's On...Go Get the Microwave Popcorn
"They smile in your face. All the time they want to take your place...the backstabbers!"
That's a lyric from an old O'Jays song. But, seriously speaking, no one wants to go to work and worry if their head will be chopped off next. If your work environment is similar to an episode of Game of Thrones or WWE, well, buckle up, buttercup.
In this round you'll have to stay on guard as there are all kinds of workplace politics. Maybe you're competing for a promotion or dealing with envious coworkers. You might also have passive-aggressive personalities or narcissists that make every day a nightmare.
Here are a few kinds of workplace games:
- You're Not the Boss of Me: You get promoted and people want to undermine you. Or, they see your potential and want to set you up to fail.
- Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!: You're dealing with little-sister syndrome where younger coworkers who are also younger siblings compete. This can include everything from what you're wearing to where you take your vacation. Buy a new car or sweater and they'll do it, too!
- It's All in the Details: Your boss or overseer is passive-aggressive and NOTHING you do is ever right - or good enough. Instead of them telling you specifically WHAT they want, their goal is total suffering and annihilation.
- Get at Me, Bro!: Your workplace resembles a frat house. There are beer bongs, sports equipment, a weight bench. And, if you're not on board, well, dude, what's your problem?
- Not Fair? Do It Because I Said So: You do your best at EVERYTHING and feel like a failure. You're rejected from every "group" and pitted as the outcast. And, it's in every department and with most coworkers you encounter. Is there a "Kick Me" post-it on the back of your chair?
So, how do you get past this level and win?
Here are a few tips to win this battle...
Remember that you're a Child of God. And, they WILL reject you. They rejected Jesus, David and Joseph. It's NOT because there's anything wrong but because of what's right or should we say LIGHT. Because YOU are the light shining in that dark place. Take time out to pray before and during your shifts. Don't get into any altercations and work to keep the peace. Ask Father God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost for more wisdom and discernment. You've GOT THIS because you've got the Most High God on your side!
Avoid identifying WITH cliques but don't be TOO standoffish. Every workplace is about a team environment so rally with your teams. If that means showing up at the occasional softball game or team outing - go and show your support. Sometimes the most dysfunctional coworkers need the most prayer. Let God lead you when the time is right. Hiding behind all that drinking and partying might be someone in need of a kind word.
When dealing with immature people, narcissists and passive-aggressive personalities, ask God for help. There are demons working THROUGH people to try and come against you. Ask Father God for His help to put the enemy under your feet - humbly, of course. Don't want to ask to immediately be reassigned because maybe it's a test Father God wants you to pass. However, if the abuse goes on for too long, consider a department assignment or job change. Another approach is to research the personality type online so you know HOW to deal with your colleague. It's not that you want to play the games but you want to avoid the pitfalls and traps. See our tips here on Recognizing Narcissists.
Pray and ask God to help you avoid being setup. Sometimes the work environment is full of childish pranks from high school (or kindergarten). The concern is that you protect your mental health because stress can lead to all kinds of illnesses and stress can kill.
To avoid conflicts, pray and ask God for more wisdom and understanding. Father God daily loads us with benefits so we can call on Him. Ask the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost to help you. As you start your day in prayer and go throughout your day, listen for the Holy Spirit. He might tell you how to respond if someone is playing games or how not to overreact. Remember, if God sent you into that environment, the battle is not YOURS, it's the Lord's and God WILL help you. You are more than a conqueror!
Bible verses to stand on:
"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Romans 8:1. This means don't let people beat you up mentally or emotionally for your past mistakes or failures. Old things are passed away.
"Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:37-39. This is a reminder that even on the workplace, God is with us, watching over us and protecting us.
"He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: He that keepeth thee will not slumber. Psalm 121:3. We can rest confidently in God because He KNOWS all and SEES all.
The Narcissists' Love-Hate Games...Confusion. Conflicts. Arguments. And, Yes, It's All Your Fault.
Put your seatbelts on tight in this round, folks! Narcissists are expert manipulators. They'll come on strong with love (to get information from you) and then turn on you. But, don't waste time trying to outplay or outsmart them. It's more important to walk away and obey God. In doing so, you've already won and here's why.
Narcissists secretly hate themselves and want to pretend to be someone else. They'll flood you with flattery and fake compliments. That's the love bomb stage. An example is Sampson and Delilah. She didn't care about him. She just wanted to know how to take his strength away. Saul in the Old Testament may have been a narcissist. He was jealous of David and tried to kill him several times but eventually fell on his own sword. Lucifer (Satan) was narcissistic and wouldn't worship God and was cast out of heaven. You can find a lot of narcissists on dating apps. They thrive to these sites because they can find plenty of supply (innocent victims).
Movies about narcissists include Cinderella and Snow White (the stepmothers), Fatal Attraction (the jilted/jealous girlfriend) and In Her Skin (the jealous neighbor). In the latter movie, a girl hates the beauty she sees in another girl so much she attacks her to get rid of the competition.
Games narcissists play:
- The Victim: Narcissists will pretend that you're causing them harm or attacking them. A spouse might say they're suddenly offended by their spouse who said or did nothing wrong.
- The Guilt Trip: They'll make you feel bad, say you give them no time and nothing you do is good enough. Some parents and spouses use this type of emotional bondage.
- Emotional Blackmail: They might threaten you in some way. A parent might threaten to refuse to let a spouse see their child. A manipulative relative might threaten to expose your secrets to other family members.
- The Shame Game: They'll never see any good in you unless you do something they want.
- The Mirroring Game: They will mirror your behavior and pretend they're not. If you catch them and accuse them of doing it, they'll reverse the script and say it's you who is mirroring them (to exhaust you emotionally).
- The Defeatist Game: They'll reject everything you say and then bring it up later on as if they originally suggested it.
- The Comparison Game: They'll make you feel like your efforts aren't good enough or they'll compare you with someone else (who would treat them better).
- Gaslighting: If you bring up their bad behavior, narcissists will suddenly change the subject (loudly or abruptly) to confuse you so they can gain control.
- Positive Reinforcement: They'll praise you as long as they're getting their way until you stop. Like a rollercoaster, they're trying to force you to keep them happy.
So, how do you get past this level and win?
Here are a few tips to win this battle...
- Remember, the battle is not ours...It's the Lord's. We don't war in the flesh. God fights for us. Don't argue with narcissists. Ever. EVERY single word you say to defend yourself they will use against you. They are master manipulators who twist words and can argue for hours over nonsense. Instead, politely walk away and keep your peace. Distance yourself from them as much as possible.
- Practice self-love... If you're attacked verbally by a narcissist, walk away and purposely give yourself love and emotional comfort. Put on movies, read your Bible and talk to people who genuinely love you. Make something yummy to eat and put your feet up, exercise, and give yourself lots of positive affirmations. You're reaffirming your worth and value because the narcissist tried to undermine it.
- Watch out for sneak attacks... Narcissists like attacking innocent people. There's a wasp that lets itself get caught in a spider's web and when the spider closes in, the wasp kills it. Narcissists pretend to be hurt or say something super insulting and if you correct them, they'll pounce on you. Or, they might withhold affection or ignore you for long periods of time and pretend like nothing's wrong. And, then suddenly, Boom!
- Remember, these are demons working through people... The people are not bad per se but the demons are trying to attack you because they've left a door open for satan to get in. Hence, keep your guard up and walk in love as Jesus taught us.
Prayer and Closing Thoughts
One of the most important prayers to pray over the enemy is to pray to cancel the devil's plans. Pray this simple prayer,
"Lord, I give You all the glory. Please cancel the devil's assignment in my life in the name of Jesus Christ and by God's authority. I plead the blood of Jesus and no weapons formed against me shall be able to prosper. I pray, Lord, change their hearts so they can find Christ and develop a relationship with You while there's still time. Thank You, Lord, for letting me be a light in a dark place and I know I will see help and signs of Your goodness. I praise You for the victory in every area of my life, in Jesus's name, Amen."
While these only cover a few of the devil's games, the goal is to pray and ask Father God to increase our wisdom and understanding. When we understand that we're dealing with hurting people (hurting people hurt people), it helps us not to go into "fight mode" when in a confrontation.
Stay encouraged and keep reading your Bible each day. Walk away from anyone NOT like God and trust God to ALWAYS make the way. You are the head, lender, and above, blessed and highly-favored, fearfully and wonderfully made! Glory to God in the Highest! Great things HE hath done!. We pray this article blesses you today!