Good News...

Tired of seeing all the violence on the news? We understand. Here are a few "Good News" stories that are enlightening and inspiring. We hope they encourage others to give good service and help out another person even when no one is looking. Matthew 6:4b states "So that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret will reward you."

Here are a few touching stories:


Girl's Inoperable Brain Tumor Disappears, Baffling Doctors...


 "It is very rare, but when we see it, it is a devastating disease," Dr. Virginia Harrod, with Dell Children's Medical Center, told KVUE. "You have decreased ability to swallow, sometimes vision loss, decreased ability to talk, eventually difficulty with breathing."

Dr. Harrod said the now 11-year-old went through weeks of radiation, even though there is no cure. In August, the family held a benefit for her and the Buda community responded in a big way. At that point, all Gena and Scott Doss could do was pray for a miracle.

"And we got it!" Gena said. "Praise God we did," Scott said. Now, they cry tears of joy. "When I first saw Roxli's MRI scan, it was actually unbelievable," Dr. Harrod said. "The tumor is undetectable on the MRI scan, which is really unusual."

Doctors can't explain why the tumor disappeared. "At Dell Children's, Texas Children's, at Dana-Farber, at John Hopkins, and MD Anderson, all agreed it was DIPG," Scott said. From no cure to no trace, the family said now they only have God to thank.

"Everyday we still say it," Gena said. "It's kind of our family thing that God healed Roxli." While the update is great news for the family, doctors caution that Roxli's long-term diagnosis has not changed and that the tumor will likely grow back.

The fact that the tumor is no longer visible on scans is remarkable, but DIPG remains a very aggressive and incurable form of cancer. Radiation usually stabilizes or shrinks the tumor and is the only course of treatment, and while doctors have labeled this case "extraordinary," they remain cautious about any long-term predictions. 


Woman Raising Deceased Son's Disabled Children Receives Special Gift...

Every year, Virginia Dassaw makes new additions to her "obituary wall." The weathered memorial has grown by six in the last four years with the life stories of both her parents, three siblings, and niece.

The obituaries are pasted next to that of her sister's, who died on Christmas Eve in 2002. She left behind six boys - five of which have intellectual disabilities - for Dassaw, or "Auntie Gin," to raise as her own, in addition to her own son.

"It's been an adventure; so much love in this, as well as grief," the 64-year-old Dassaw said. "Now, 16 years later, everything is OK. It hasn't been easy."

One of those struggles, Dassaw says, has been transportation. The single "auntie" of seven has had to teach her special-needs nephews - now 26, 28, 30, 32 and 34 - how to use the county bus system after her old, used cars would leave her stranded.

When the boys were students, their teachers had to step in, taking them to and from school when Dassaw didn't have a way to. And when their bikes were stolen, the school administrators raised funds to buy new ones.

a bicycle parked in front of a car: Virginia Dassaw was surprised with a brand new mini van by the Miami Marlins and AutoNation. Dassaw became the legal guardian for her sister's 6 children after her sister died; five of them have intellectual disabilities.

But that all changed when a new Honda Odyssey minivan pulled up into her driveway in West Eureka. Leaping out of the minivan was former Miami Marlins outfielder Juan Pierre, who handed a sobbing Dassaw the keys to her surprise new ride.

With her face buried in her palms, the weeping woman leaned over, lifted her hands in the air and then pinched herself.

"I must be on the 'Price is Right,' " Dassaw said wailing. Beside her was her 26-year-old nephew, Kevin Roundtree. Both his hands clasped his head as tears cascaded down his cheeks. "You didn't know I needed a car, but Jesus knew I needed a car."

Dassaw honked the horn twice as Roundtree and his brothers hopped inside: "We're in heaven! We're in heaven." The gift was one of seven given to families in need this year by the Miami Marlins and AutoNation. The "completely paid-off" vehicle came with a $100 gift card for gas.

"This is what life is all about," Pierre told the Miami Herald. "The lady has been dealt a hand with six kids with disabilities. It's something that they really need. They wanted it, but more importantly, they needed it. Their faces said it all."

Dassaw first caught the baseball team's attention in 2013 when Roundtree, the youngest of her six nephews, beat out 23,000 other Special Olympics athletes, including 3,000 from Miami-Dade alone. He was named the organization's athlete of the year. Roundtree's story appeared in the Miami Herald, shining light on Dassaw's need.

Though Roundtree's speech is hard to comprehend, his tears weren't. "Happy tears; I'm so happy. We needed that very badly," he said. "I want to be all day with my auntie in the new car, and show my family the new car." Panting with joy, Roundtree's brother, 28-year-old Markeith Bell, smiled as he paced back and forth.

"I know my momma is smiling down from heaven," Bell said pointing at Monday's clear skies. "My grandma is smiling too from up there; the whole family is." To make ends meet, Dassaw has a job as a cook at a nearby Popeyes Chicken while her adult nephews work or stay home. She says the new car "is like putting icing on a cake; like finishing up the ingredients of a meal."

On that day, the matriarch, who also cares for her disabled brother, prepped to start her shift in her dream mobile - a vehicle that doesn't need a key, but starts at the push of a button. "We were struggling to get from square one to square two," she said. "But now, we can get to square three."


Man Donates Over 1,000 Toys After Theft, Kids Will Now Receive Double...

What the devil means for harm, God always works in our favor...

Just last week, Eyewitness News spoke to Pastor Torres after thieves broke into the storage pods outside the church and stole hundreds of toys collected for kids this Christmas. Massachusetts business owner Lucas Burnley heard what happened and took action. He raised $45,000 and went on an eight-day shopping spree, and on Wednesday, he drove 3 1/2 hours to deliver the toys.

"There was a few times when I was growing up that I received toys from Toys for Tots, and so for me, it's always held a kind of special place in my heart," Burnley said. Pastor Torres told Eyewitness News that before the robbery, the plan was to deliver gifts to 6,000 kids through the Bridgeport area.

Now, with this generous contribution, more than 6,500 kids will get gifts this holiday season. And instead of one gift, all those kids will now get two presents. Organizers plan to distribute the gifts this Saturday and the following Saturday. Police tell Eyewitness News they've identified a suspect and expect at least one arrest soon.


Mom Denied Heart 4-Times Get New Heart and Will Be Home For Christmas...

Shared Via CBS News: Cherron Gilmore, a mother of three from Winston-Salem, North Carolina, received devastating news after giving birth to her youngest child eight years ago. The mother had developed a potentially fatal heart condition, peripartum cardiomyopathy, which affects postpartum women.

"It was extreme. Like walking to the bathroom was like walking a marathon," Gilmore said in an interview with VCU Health. Her daughter was born three months early, weighing just three pounds. And while baby Khori grew into a healthy girl, Gilmore's health started deteriorating.

The 37-year-old mom was experiencing heart failure and she need a transplant. This August she was hospitalized and started to get discouraged about her chances of receiving a new heart. She says three hospitals declined to put her on the transplant waitlist.

"There were so many different factors why I was denied that I didn't even know any more," Gilmore said. "My local hospital was ready to pull the plug on me. They said, 'There's nothing more that we can do.'" 

Gilmore was preparing to die. She wrote letters to her kids to read in the future, in case she wasn't there. "Everything set in," she said. "The first thing that popped into my mind was just sit down and write down everything that I would say if I was here – when my daughter went to prom and married and stuff like that. If I wasn't here, this is what I would want to say to her."


Gilmore wrote these letters while on the way to her fourth and final hospital: VCU Health in Richmond, Virginia. This is where her life completely changed.

She was on her deathbed when she was transferred there, but the doctors at VCU Health would not let her die. "When I got here and I talked to Dr. Tang, he's like, 'Well, what kind of information did they give you [at the other hospitals]?' And I was like, 'They just said I was too much of a risk.'" Gilmore remembered. "And he's like, 'Nope. We don't believe that here.' He said we don't believe that."

Dr. Tang had faith in Gilmore's recovery – and he instilled a new faith inside of her. "When she was transferred, she was pretty sick. She was in cardiogenic shock," Dr. Daniel Tang said in an interview with VCU Health. "So, heart in failure." 

Dr. Tang evaluated Gilmore for a total artificial heart. It was a solution that helped save her – but it was temporary. Artificial hearts are "often done in the sickest of patients, who are at high risk for complications," Dr. Tang said. "And as a consequence of that, the challenges they face in terms of being able to recover and go on to a transplant are greater."

"Having that artificial heart required a lot," Gilmore said. "That thing scared me to death because they're taking my heart completely out." The artificial heart was a success and Gilmore started referring to her doctors as her "dream team." She was able to go home and await heart No. 2 – a donor transplant.

"We had to find a donor with the right size, right blood type," Dr. Vigneshwar Kasirajan, who is a part of Gilmore's "dream team," said. About a month later, the dream team called Gilmore and told her the good news – they may have found a heart. She was astounded by how quickly it happened. "I was like, 'I just left there!'"

Gilmore returned to VCU Health to receive her second new heart – this one for keeps. "I woke up and I felt like a brand new person. I put my life in them, and they breathed it back into me," Gilmore said about the team of doctors. "I haven't felt like this in a long time."

Just before the holidays, Gilmore returned home to her kids. Her husband captured video of Khori running to the car as it pulled into the driveway, anxious to hug her mom again. The doctors at VCU health didn't do it just for Gilmore – they did it for her kids, too. Now, Gilmore has a new motto that she has tattooed on her arm: "I may bend, but I will not break." She also tattooed an image of a red dress – the symbol of the fight against women's heart disease. 

Gilmore says she's taking the holiday season to reflect on the second chance at life she was given. The doctors who gave a new heart to Gilmore also restored the heart of her family. The Gilmore family missed their strong matriarch, and is ecstatic to have her home for the holidays. 



Businessman Gives $1,000 Checks to Students After California Fire...

Story shared via ABC News: Southern California businessman Bob Wilson loaded a suitcase with $1,000 checks and headed north on Tuesday -- each one earmarked for a student or faculty member at Paradise High School. The 89-year-old real estate magnate has no connection to Paradise, California -- or neighboring Chico -- where the Camp Fire burned through almost an entire city, but said he wanted to help out in any way he could. He decided to eschew more traditional charitable means and take the money straight to Paradise, where he could hand deliver the checks to each of the 1,085 students and staff.

"These are the checks that are going to the students," Wilson told San Francisco ABC station KGO. "I had such a great time in high school. I just wanted, if I could do anything to put a smile on their face, give a little freedom to do whatever they want to do, take their minds off what happened for a short period of time, I would be more than compensated I'll tell you.

"It hit me that maybe I could do something and I really wanted to do it now, I wanted to do it directly and I got ahold of the principal and I talked to him about it and you could've scraped him off cloud nine, quite frankly," he added.

All told, the charitable donation totaled over $1.1 million. The Camp Fire began on Nov. 8 in Butte County and burned through thousands of homes and claimed the lives of at least 85 people, many in Paradise. The 27,000-person town was especially hard hit in the fire. Paradise High School Principal Loren Lighthaul told KGO that although the school survived the fire, about 90 percent of students lost their homes.

The fire was only fully contained days ago. Students lined up at Paradise High School on Tuesday to collect their checks, which Wilson said can be used for whatever the teens want. Many said they would deliver them to their parents, who are in need of money just to buy clothes, food or everyday supplies.

"He doesn't even know us ... it makes my heart smile," student Samantha Pipkin told KGO. Paradise Unified School District has been out of session for most of November in the wake of the deadly fires. Students are scheduled to return on Dec. 3.

"Through everything that we have all been through, the one thing we wanted to make sure we could see through is that our students be reunited with their PUSD teachers," the school said in a release to parents. "We assure you that, even through our own trauma, we have been working to keep this promise to you. We appreciate your patience and flexibility, and may require even more of it as we navigate some more logistical hurdles.

"We have done the best we can with what we have to work with at this time, without compromising a safe and acceptable learning environment."


Neighbors Help Harvest Crops for Farmer With Cancer...

Story shared via WTVR: When farmers in West Texas found out that one of their neighbors had cancer and couldn’t harvest his cotton crop, they turned out to help. They offered so much help, in fact, that some had to be turned away. Greg Bishop, who lives in Floyd County northeast of Lubbock, was diagnosed with leukemia in September and is undergoing treatment.

On Monday, neighboring farmers brought 20 cotton strippers and all the other equipment needed to harvest Bishop’s fields — about 450 acres in all. Aaron Hendricks, the General Manager of Floydada Co-Op Gins, has known Bishop for about 25 years and says he’s a respected member of the community. “He would not have asked anyone for help, but he would have been the first one out if somebody else was sick,” Hendricks said.

Hendricks told CNN that about 80 or 90 people came to help with Bishop’s harvest. He didn’t have an exact count, but says a local chemical business brought in 75 hamburgers to feed everyone and ended up running out. In addition to all the machinery, farmers directed traffic, put tarps on bales and cleared tumbleweeds that had blown into the fields.

Other businesses supplied fuel and service trucks in case any of the vehicles broke down. Robert Nixon helped organize the effort and said it was overwhelming how many people came to help. “We started around 10 o’clock this morning and a little before 3 we were done. I mean we had that many people,” Nixon told CNN affiliate KCBD. They ended up with about 1,200 bales of processed cotton that’s worth about $420,000, Hendricks said.

“If he would have done it himself with one machine it probably would have taken him about two to three weeks,” Hendricks said. Bishop’s longtime friend and former college roommate, Dave Carthel, told KCBD that everyone was just glad they could be there for him. “He’s got a rough row to hoe and he’s got a lot more worries down the road than just getting his crop in so we were all just real glad to do it. And I was glad to be a part of it,” Carthel said.



Sixth Grader Leaves "Note" After Bus Damages Car...



Story shared via CBS News: A college student from Buffalo, New York, was surprised to find his car mysteriously dented last week, but he was even more shocked by the note left on his car. The note was not left by another driver, but rather, someone too young to be responsible for a hit-and-run. 

"If your (sic) wondering what happened to your car, Bus: 499 hit your car," read a hand-written note left on Andrew Sipowicz's car. The letter was from a person who witnessed an alleged hit-and-run and wanted to inform Sipowicz of what happened to his car when he wasn't there.

"It stops here every day to drop me off at 5:00 p.m." the anonymous note writer said. "What happened? She was trying to pull off and hit the car. She hit and run. She tried to vear (sic) over and squeeze threw (sic) but couldn't. She actually squeezed threw. She made a dent and I saw what happened. Sorry," the person wrote.

The note writer specified it was a Buffalo Public School bus that hit Sipowicz's car. That's right, the anonymous good Samaritan was just a kid, on her way home from school. She signed the letter: "a 6th grader at Houghten Academy."

The sixth grader also drew an illustration of the bus to really show Sipowicz what she witnessed. Sipowicz, a student at Canisius College, took a photo of the note and posted it on Twitter, where it gained widespread attention. The bus drawing included screaming kids, a funny detail many Twitter users pointed out.

"Shoutout to the anonymous 6th grader for saving me a couple thousand," he wrote. "Bus not drawn to scale," he added as a joke. The tweet went viral and Sipowicz was able to post an update just one day later: "The student who wrote the letter has been found and we're in the process of finding a way to reward her for her actions. Very grateful for what she did," he wrote.

Although the sixth grader's name has not been made public, many people wrote her messages on Twitter. And Sipowicz plans on meeting her and possibly giving her an early Christmas present for her good deed, Sinclair Broadcast Group reports. "I'm looking into going to meet her in person next week and thank her for what she did," Sipowicz said.

The sixth grader didn't ask for any recognition, drawing praise from many on social media. Although her identity remains anonymous, it is clear she is wise beyond her years.


Stranger Saves Choking Baby at Restaurant on Thanksgiving Day...

Hannah Jarvis said she was eating dinner with her family when her 7-month-old daughter Calli started choking. "I had just walked back in from getting some food," Calli's grandfather Cimarron Waldrup told WLOS. "I noticed something was going on wrong. They were getting out napkins. I thought she was just spitting up."

Jarvis said a waitress came by and tried to help. When things got worse, the waitress yelled out, asking if anyone in the restaurant could help. "The folks turned to my grandbaby, and that's when that lady that saved her came up." Waldrup recalled with tears in his eyes. "This lady named Deborah intervened," Jarvis said. "She held her down, like this, taking multiple blows to her back. It was miraculous, she started breathing again. She told me her name is Deborah Rouse."

Deborah did what is commonly considered the best technique to help a choking infant: blows to the back. Jarvis said she thanked Rouse with a hug. However, because of the chaos of the moment, Jarvis doesn't think she did enough to thank the woman who saved her baby's life.

Jarvis is now sharing her story to tell the world that Rouse is a hero. She also said she would like to meet up with Rouse again to give her a more appropriate thank you.

Missing Wallet Returned by Good Samaritan with More Money Inside...

Shared via Yahoo News and Omaha News: When Hunter Shamatt lost his wallet, he had little hope he’d get it back, certainly not with interest. But he did.

Hunter was on the way from South Dakota to his sister’s wedding in Las Vegas earlier this month when he left his wallet on a Frontier Airlines flight. It held the 20-year-old’s ID and debit card, as well as $60 and a signed paycheck. Hunter was “fearing the worst that everything was gone,” his mother Jeannie Shamatt wrote in a Facebook post about the incident.

Luckily, the man who found it, Todd Brown, is a believer in paying it forward. He mailed everything back, and then some. Brown included a note that read: “Hunter, Found this on a Frontier flight from Omaha to Denver — row 12, seat F wedged between the seat and wall. Thought you might want it back. All the best…PS. I rounded your cash up to an even $100 so you could celebrate getting your wallet back. Have fun!!!”

That’s right. While others may have snatched the cash, Brown gave the kid some more. Just ’cause. The father of five found the wallet while reaching to put on his seat belt during his Nov. 8 flight. He decided not to give it to the flight crew. “I thought about it, but I just wanted to make sure he got it back,” Brown told Yahoo Lifestyle. “It had some cash in it and a signed paycheck, and a debit card, so I wanted to make sure he got it back.”

When he landed in Denver, he and his wife did a little digging. “My wife looked him up on Facebook and found him in about 39 seconds, so I sent him a message there.” He also perused Hunter’s profile and came up with the idea to give him a little boost. “I saw he was just a kid, 20 years old, he had a paycheck in there, so I figured, ‘Well, he’s doing his best to make ends meet,’ but I was 20 once, and that’s a lot of money for a kid,” Brown reasoned.

Hunter never responded to the Facebook message, but since Brown had his ID, he could still send it back. “I was putting it together to send via FedEx, and when I sent it off, I wanted to have a little fun, I wanted him to have a little fun,” he recalled. “I imagined what it would be like to get your wallet back, so I added a little bit so he could celebrate.” Hunter had three 20-dollar bills already, and Brown “rounded it up to an even hundred.” Why? Because it feels good to find money, Brown said. “Anything from just finding an extra $20 in your pocket from last year when you put your coat away. When I send my mom a card, I still put a dollar in there because it feels good when you open it,” he said.

Brown does good deeds like this whenever he can, but he prefers to remain anonymous. He didn’t sign his name on the note in the package, which was waiting for Hunter when he returned from Vegas.

His mom was so moved by this act of kindness, she had to thank him. So, she took to Facebook and posted a photo of the note. She explained that the only identifier was the return address on the envelope, which was from Applied Underwriters in Omaha, Neb., where Brown works. “We would love to thank the individual personally if we could find him or her. Please help share this post so we can find this amazing person,” Jeannie wrote.

Thanks to almost 2,000 shares, the post made its way to the brand manager at Applied Underwriters.  “She contacted me and asked if it was OK to put us in touch with one another,” Brown said. “And so she facilitated that, and I was driving home from work Monday and heard from both Hunter and his mother.”

“They were very thankful. Hunter was very thankful,” Brown recalled of their conversation. “He told me he has some student loans and a car payment that he needed to make so the timing was right.” Jeannie told him that Hunter is very forgetful, so she wasn’t surprised when he lost his wallet. What surprised her was that he got it back. “They assumed it was gone forever. So when he opened it, she said he just started screaming, ‘No way! No way!’ And they hadn’t noticed the note until after that excitement.”

Jeannie posted again on Facebook to gush about Brown. “I personally want to thank Todd Brown and his wife for restoring faith that there are amazing people out there, the world is not as grim as it’s being made out to be,” she wrote.

Brown never expected to get so much attention. “I just wanted to do the right thing, it always feels good to do the right thing,” he said. “It’s really not that hard to be a good person.”

For Jeannie, the episode is an affirmation of something she’s tried to teach her kids. (Hunter couldn’t come to the phone Monday evening, his mother said, because he was sleeping so that he would be ready for work.)

“I try to teach my kids every day to be good to people and give when you can, it doesn’t matter the outcome,” she said. “It’s what you’re giving. Kindness comes back, and it did.”

God bless this person's generous spirit for sharing with others. You never know what a person needs, but God does and He loves a cheerful giver!


Notre Dame Students Surprise Dining Hall Worker on Birthday...

Story shared via ABC News: A dining hall worker was moved to tears after a group of students threw her a  surprise 70th birthday party. Pam Jobin of Mishawaka, Indiana, walked into Notre Dame's O'Neill Family Hall on Nov. 11 to a crowd of young residents singing "Happy Birthday." The guys even brought in Jobin's daughter and granddaughter to be part of the special day.

"It was beyond words," Jobin told "Good Morning America." "I was speechless, and all I could do is cry. They keep me going." Jobin has been an employee at Notre Dame for three decades and has worked as the dining hall monitor for O'Neill Family Hall for six years. Jobin has four daughters with her late husband, Ed, as well as 10 grandchildren and one great granddaughter.

To the guys at O'Neill, she's known as their "Notre Dame grandmother" -- interacting with them in the dining hall on a daily basis. "When they graduate, they passed me down," Jobin said of the students. "I adore all of them." Notre Dame senior Nick Martinez, 21, told "GMA" Jobin is loved by all who come in contact with her, including alumni who frequently return to campus to pay her visits.

"A lot of us are very far away from home," Martinez said. "Pam fills that void in terms of supporting us when we need support, giving us love and also keeping us in line as we all need sometimes. I absolutely love Pam, 100 percent." Martinez said Jobin's birthday is celebrated each year, but with 70 being a milestone, he and his friends decided to go bigger with homemade cards, flowers, a cookie cake, wine and a visit from her daughter Kristi and granddaughter, Alyssa.

"When she came through the door, tears immediately came streaming down her face," Martinez said. "It was a cool moment." Jobin said she has no plans to retire.


Couple Returns $25,000 That Store Owner Dropped...

God bless this couple that returned money they found. We pray God blesses them 100-fold for giving back to this store owner. You never know when God might test you or make you give something back so He can bless you with greater.

Story shared via ABC-News: A Georgia convenience store owner who lost a bag filled with $25,000 said he knows how lucky he is that a good Samaritan couple returned it to him. Gautambhai Patel, who was transferring money from his store earlier this month, pulled his car over on the side of a road to take a call.

When the call was over, he accidentally left the bag full of cash on his car and drove off. It wasn't until he got home that he realized the bag was missing. But a few hours later, he received a call from the Rincon Police Department telling him that Jeff and Mechelle Green had found the bag and returned -- with all of the money still inside.

"The family is a good family," Patel said. "They have a good culture.” "He's honest. He did not take anything from the bag," he continued, referring to Jeff Green. "That's a good guy." Rincon Police, which launched a search immediately after Patel reported the bag missing on Nov. 16, said it hoped someone would "do the right thing." "Our office began investigating but hoped that whoever would find the bag would do the right thing and turn it in," the department said in a Facebook post. The Greens did just that.

"Local residents Jeff and Mechelle Green are those amazing people!" the post continued. "They recovered the bag and made sure it was returned to the rightful owner. "We always encourage citizens to do the right thing both morally and legally!" the statement added. "Thank you to the [Greens]!"

A Rincon Police Department spokesman said the Greens have a reputation as a generous couple in the community. “Not a surprise to his friends and family that they would do something like that,” Robert Lipovsky, public information officer with the department, told ABC News. “We are a fairly close-knit community. And we are trying to look after each other.”

Patel said he was grateful the Greens didn't take the money for themselves. “It’s a rare case,” he said. “Most of the time people [would take] the money. "They were thinking that the money was not for them," he added.

Anonymous Man Pays Off All Vermont Walmart Layaways

A secret santa paid off the layaways at a Walmart in Vermont. We pray this man is blessed for his generosity and his kindness in giving back to others. We also pray that he has a happy holiday season and is surrounded with love as he has shown it to others.

Story Shared via ABC News: A man filled with holiday spirit became a real-life Santa Claus when he walked into a Walmart and paid for all the layaway items awaiting customer payments. Julie Ann Gates was one of the lucky customers inside the Derby, Vermont, store who received the man's generosity, and couldn't believe what she was seeing.

"I just can't put into words how much that man has done for so many people," Gates told ABC News. "He is the true meaning of Christmas." Gates said she went to Walmart with her son and mother on Nov. 15. When she was in the line to pay for her items, she overheard a man asked one of the men in the line in front of her about paying for items.

"'Listen I can either have you put it on a layaway, and I’m going to pay for it when you leave. You’ll just have to come right back and pick it up or you could follow me over to the cash register, and I pay for it now,'" was what the man said, according to Gates' recollection. At first, Gates thought it was a father and his son, until the man approached her by himself.

"The guy turned to me and said 'are you going to put anything on layaway,'" Gates said. "'Well why don’t you run and get what you were going to get and come back, and I pay for it. I have a few minutes before I go to the doctor,'" the man said, according to Gates. Gates wasn't sure what to make of it until she realized it wasn't a prank. "Nobody does that," Gates told ABC News. After Gates retrieved her items the man was still there waiting to pay for her, she said.

"He was waiting for me to come back with my layaway, and he said 'you know just go over to the cash register and I'll come over and I'll pay for it,'" Gates recalled. Gate was in disbelief at what she just witnessed. "I said oh my goodness! Thank you!" Gates recalled saying to the man after she put her items in her car. "How could anyone afford to do this," she asked the man. "He said 'Santa Claus can.'" Gates asked the man for his real name so she could remember what he did for her. The man told her his name was "Kris Kringle." He then turned and walked away.

Gates took a picture of the good Samaritan with her phone, capturing only the back of his New England Patriots jacket. Asked why she thinks the man paid for her and others, Gates suggested the man might have gone through hard time in life and now he just wants everyone to be happy. "I know personally he is my Santa Claus. He is my Kris Kringle. I'll forever have his face embedded in my mind," Gates said. "He's given so many people the opportunity not worrying about Christmas, to just be with their families and not stress that maybe they can't afford it."

A spokesperson for Walmart said that it is a privilege to be the place for the good deed. “When customers quietly pay off others’ layaway items, we’re reminded how good people can be. We’re honored to be a small part of these random acts of kindness,” the company told ABC News. Walmart would not say how much the man spent on other people's items.